District 45 Speak Out Contest
Each year D45 clubs invite high school Juniors and Seniors to compete in a 5 to 7 minute public speaking contest based upon their interpretation of the Lions International President's theme. This year the theme is "WE SERVE – BEYOND THE HORIZON". Local clubs can send one finalist to the district competition which will be held at the District Cabinet meeting on March 16th.
Students who participate in this program gain valuable experience preparing their presentation, working to a timeline, and confidence. Many young people today have something to say but do not have the tools to speak in public effectively and with confidence. Good communicators make good citizens.
Advise the participants to read the International President’s message on the theme of the contest.
What can your club do?
1) Select a Speak Out chairman and share that information with the District Speak Out Chairman.
2) Your Speak Out committee should develop promotional materials to distribute which explain the purpose of the contest, rules, and prizes. You will need to decide on local awards to be presented. At district 1st place receives $300, 2nd place $200, 3rd place $100. Your local awards should not exceed 50% of the district level awards. You will also need to select a date for the local competition and consider the venue. Each compeditor takes about 10 minutes. An example flyer is available for you to modify here.
3) Find a contact person, preferably at your local High School: the head of the English Department or a Guidance Counselor are excellent options. Other possible contacts: local 4-H and Scout Group Leaders, Debate Coach, etc.
4) Your club will need to set a local contest date, amount of prizes, location of contest and list your chairperson person on the bottom of your form. Fill out your form and make copies including the judging form and the International President’s message, if you wish, to give to your contacts. They in turn can make copies for the students that are interested in participating.
THINGS TO DO BY YOUR FIRST MEETING IN JANUARY:
1) Please contact me if your club is going to be participating in the Speak-Out Contest and give me the name of your Speak-Out Chairperson and the date of your local contest. My email address is listed below.
2) IMPORTANT: PLEASE HAVE YOUR LOCAL CONTEST AT ONE OF YOUR JANUARY MEETINGS ALTHOUGH AN EARLIER DATE IS FINE. BE SURE TO ASK AT THE SCHOOL ABOUT DIFFICULT DATES SUCH AS EXAMS, ETC.
AFTER THE CONTEST:
1) Send me the results of your Contest and the number of guests (family members) your winner will have with them at the District Contest in March.
2) The District 45 final contest will be held at the March 16th Cabinet Meeting in Middlebury, Vermont.
3) The District covers the costs of all contestants’ meals at the Cabinet Meeting, please let me know the total number of guests that will be attending the Contest so that enough meals and tables are provided. Meals of any guests of the contestants’ are covered by the clubs that invite them and should be paid by the club when they check in at the Cabinet Meeting.
4) The District also covers the meals of each club’s Speak-Out Chairperson.
Thank you and good luck, we hope to see you in March!
Lion Kathy Dorman, Speak-Out Contest Chairperson
Lion Connie St. George, Speak-Out Co-Chairperson